Monday, September 28, 2009

Remakes - When is Enough Enough?

So today I just watched the trailer for the latest Hollywood horror remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street and am at a loss. This would be the fifth remake from Michael Bay's production company (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Amityville Horror, the Hitcher and Friday the 13th before it) and enough is enough. The previous attempts have been "reimaginings" (at best) but from the trailer, the new Nightmare films looks to be going the "shot for shot" remake approach.

I understand why these get made: Hollywood is bankrupt and retreads have a name value at the box office. But who in their right mind prefers any of these remakes to the "classics" (at least in the horror community)?

Bay is not the only one to be blamed. Other studios crank out remakes of everything from top shelf properties (Halloween), mid-card talent (My Bloody Valentine) to jobbers (the Stepfather) with minimal to moderate success. Tons of movies from the last 40 plus years are being remade and many of them don't upset me as much as these, but that's because I love horror movies so much.

I can safely say I will be skipping this retread when it's released next year and hope that others do as well to finally get Hollywood in line to make some original films once and a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment