Friday, July 3, 2009

Deadpool

This week saw the release of the ongoing series Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth. The pitch for this series is the Deadpool from our Marvel Universe teams up with the head of Zombie Deadpool (from the Marvel Zombies Universe) who he finds in the Savage Land.

To you, this may not be a big deal, but to a long time Deadpool fan, this is HUGE! If the book was Deadpool reading from the phone book from 22 pages, I'd still probably pick it up, however, this now puts THREE Deadpool books shipping monthly from Marvel (two ongoing series and one limited series). Outside of Spider-Man or Wolverine, there aren't many other Marvel heroes STARRING in that many books. That's pretty good company to keep. Now, how did this debatable 2nd tier character get this treatment.

I would assume it stems from the recent X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. Now, I saw this film by legal means, I assure you, and it wasn't very good. The opening montage of Logan and Victor's adventures through time was cool, but overall, a very poor action flick.

The rumors before the movie was released pegged Ryan Reynolds to be playing Deadpool in the film. Apparently, this Ryan Reynolds is hot stuff in Hollywood. Personally, I think he's not only a horrible actor, but also painfully unfunny. BUT Hollywood and the general populous feel he is the next Bill Murray thanks to turns in such films as Waiting (also starring Reynolds doppelganger Dane Cook) and the Amityville Horror remake. This makes him somewhat of a bankable star and thus if his name being attached to Deadpool gives the character more heat, that's the price I pay.

As I mentioned above, I've been a Deadpool fan for a long time. I don't say this to mean "I was there first" but more so to say his comic book portrayal has been pretty clear cut from his first beginning, as wafer thin as it may be. He's Spider-Man who kills people essentially. A concept that shouldn't work, but writers such as Joe Kelly have written him as a sympathetic, likeable character. To stray from this is silly to me.

Where am I going with this? I don't know, I'm rambling at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment